February 27th, 2015
“What is this dark spot on my face?” Discoloration has many different names from dark spots, age spots, melasma, pregnancy mask, to hyper-pigmentation, etc.
We are born with something called Melanin. Depending on your ethnic background some people are born with more melanin than others which explains why some skin tones are darker and some skin tones are lighter. The darker the skin tone, the more melanin the skin has. Melanin is the bodies’ natural sun protection which is great to protect against the suns harmful UV rays but irritating when you develop those pesky unwanted dark spots.
“HOW DO I GET DARK SPOTS?”
Dark spots are caused by hormones and sun exposure. Groups of individual melanocyte cells join together when exposed to the suns rays.
“HOW DO I GET RID OF MY DARK SPOTS?”
Melanin is produced naturally in the body so it’s unrealistic to say we can “cure” pigmentation. However, researchers have found that we can use products topically to “inhibit” melanin production. This means we can use products like Hydroquinone, Kojic acid, licorice root, etc to pause melanin production thus preventing future spots from appearing while breaking down current spots.
I like to recommend Vivant Skincare’s Bleaching Serum Forte which has advanced Hydroquinone, Kojic acid, and Vitamin A. In this unique formula, Vitamin A helps exfoliate layers of skin while the Hydroquinone and Kojic acid penetrate deeper into the skin’s layers breaking down dark spots. We have it here, at Corrective Skincare.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Treatment of pigmentation REQUIRES the use of sunscreen! You MUST reapply SPF 30+ every 2-3 hours diligently and wear protective hats. Stay out of the sun as much as possible. Otherwise, pigmentation will come back because of sun exposure, hormones and melanin production. See my blog about what SPF’s Corrective Skincare recommends to our patients, coming soon!
The use of skin lighteners and bleaching agents should be used in small amounts for short periods of time (no more than 4-5 months). Talk to your Corrective Skincare Medical Esthetician about whats right for your skin before use of these products to achieve the best results possible.
310.566.0858 Santa Monica
February 17th, 2015
Heading to Coachella in April? Dubfire, Kaskade, Hozier, and the rest of the groovy lineup will be waiting for you. CHYEAH MAN!!! Food trucks are offering vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options. Or grab the lobster quesadilla at Cousins Main Lobster Truck assuming you can get past the high cheese to lobster ratio. The three day weekend provides amazing climate but the hot desert sun can certainly make keeping your skin clear and protected more difficult.
You’ve got a couple of months to clear before you go. Get on it. We can help. www.CorrectiveSkincareLA.com And *once you are there*, forget about your skin and have a blast. Reason? Your natural routine of washing and home care wont be the same there, anyway. BUT. These things will naturally help:
1) Eat very little (ie: eat cleaner)- You’ll be distracted by the music. You’ll endorphins will be going. You’ll dance. It’ll be hot. It’ll be cold. You wont care about food. Besides, it’s really expensive at the food trucks anyway. Another option: bring your own clean and healthy food.
2) Drink tons of H20- To stay hydrated in the desert, you’ll want to down at least 8-10 bottles of water each day. You’ll need it to replenish after all that dancing and help flush whatever salt is in that food you’re barely eating. Great way to clean out your body of toxins.
3) Hair off your face- Pull your hair up in a hip little pony tail after the sweating starts. Make sure everyone sees your perfect DryBar blowout on day one, of course.
4) No make-up- Part of Coachella is losing yourself in life and being one with nature. Get rid of your mirrors and, instead, concentrate on how you feel rather than how you look. Wash your face often and when you do, wash it twice*. Your 2nd cleanse is going to actually wash your skin once all the sweat and oil is off.
5) Vitamin Sunshine- While the benefits of Vitamin D help contribute to skin cell growth, repair, and metabolism, too much sun exposure can lead to wrinkles, sun spots, and increase your risk of skin cancer. Don’t just put on your sunscreen, REAPPLY IT every 1-2 hours. Use an oil free, sweat-friendly SPF that wont leave you feeling greasy*. Use a powder SPF if you want. It doesn’t matter as long as you reapply it. While you’re at it, grab a parasol to protect yourself. Hahahaa. OK. Totally kidding. I just wanted to type the word parasol in this blog. But I’m not kidding about reapplying the SPF. That part is true.
6) Be happy- Dancing, smiling, breathing fresh air, sun…all release stress.
So that’s it in a nutshell. Pull up those high wasted cut off shorts, throw on one of those huge cool-girl hats (I hear they are mandatory), apply your lip balm with SPF*, and don’t worry so much about your skin while you are there. Stress is the number 2 reason you break out anyway. BOOSH! Oh. And while Coachella has Breast Pumping Stations now, leave your medical marijuana card at home. Apparently, according to the Coachella website, “not valid there, bro.”
*For a cleanser, spf, and lip balm we’d recommend CLICK HERE or call us at 818.981.6130.
Owner, Corrective Skincare
February 6th, 2015
Most people have the occasional breakout or cluster of zits pop up here and there (No pun intended). Follow these tips to keep your skin clear.
GET PLENTY OF SLEEP!
Stress is one of the biggest factors contributing to acne flare-ups! Getting less than 7-8 hours of sleep each night will contribute to dark under eye circles and emotional stress that shows up on your skin as an acne flare up days later.
DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!
Suzanne Tarakjian, M.E. for Corrective Skincare in Encino, always recommends, “take your weight, divide it in half and that’s the amount of water in ounces you should be drinking daily.” The skin is the largest organ in your body and you need to keep yourself hydrated.
LOWER YOUR IODIZED SALT INTAKE!
Watch out for Iodized salt in hidden places! Iodized salt is found in dairy products, (especially cheese) because cows have salt licks as apart of their digestion. It can also be found in some soy sauce, seaweed, kelp, some vitamin supplements, etc. These iodides are excreted through your pores which irritate the follicle and cause and acne flare up! ***Drink a few extra glasses of water to flush out your system, No need to totally avoid the foods we enjoy! ***
CLEAN YOUR WORK OR CELL PHONE WITH ALCOHOL AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK!
Avoid touching or resting your hands on your face.
Most of us don’t even realize how often we touch our face. Are your hands clean? Think of your skin as sponge, soaking in everything… now think of everything your hands just touched from your cell phone to that dirty office restroom door knob (who knows when the last time that was disinfected!)
CLEANSE YOUR SKIN, MORNING AND NIGHT!
No matter how lazy you feel, it’s important to cleanse your skin morning and night. Skipping this step in daily routine will show on your skin 4-7 days later. Trust me, you will want to kick yourself in the behind days later and you have no one to blame but your own laziness. 🙁 #WeveAllBeenThere
CHANGE YOUR PILLOW CASE WEEKLY!
You’re face is resting on your pillow case 7+ hours each night collecting dead skin cells, oil from your face and hair, and any products left on overnight. #ThinkAboutIt
BOOK YOUR SKIN TREATMENT!
At Corrective Skincare, we recommend a deep cleaning with extractions to prevent further breakouts and enable your home care medications to work more effectively. Call us at 818-981-6130 (Encino) or 310-566-0858 (Santa Monica) or log in to www.CorrectiveSkincareLA.com to book your appointment.